Thursday, January 15, 2009

My First Semester Classes in HCHS

I really enjoy all my first semester classes in Holland Christian. I start my day with engineering and with a really nice teacher, Mr. Hompkis. He shows us the basics of engineering and teaches us what different kinds of engineers do. Also we do some projects in this class, for instance one of them was building a suspension bridge. To finish the project I worked with also an exchange student, Adam from Hungary. It was really enjoyable to build the bridge. However after we built the bridge, we decided to test how strong it was. So Adam stepped up on the bridge and of course it broke down. =))
After engineering class I have AP Calculus which is one of my favourite classes. I am quite good at math and also I have already taken this class in Turkey, so I am like a genious in the eyes of my friends. In addition Mr. Knouster helped me a lot in english terms of math. It is really enjoyable to take that class.
I have physics in the third hour with Mr. Peterson. I really like physics because you can learn the reasons of most of the things are happening in the world. It was even better with Mr. Peterson because he was a talkative person and he encourages us to learn physics. Also doing homework is really enjoyable because you do them on the internet. There is a program called CAPA so that we could do our homework (questions about our topics).
Lunch and study hall came after physics. During lunch I generally buy a normal meal ($2.25)from the cafeteria. Study hall is for studying your classes but for me it is just about surfing in the internet for 45 minutes. I really regretted taking this class.
Then I have keyboarding class which I gained a new ability: to use 10 fingers while typing. And my last hour is English. I think it is the best english class I've ever taken. My teacher, Mr. Koeman makes this class really enjoyable by making jokes all the time and having different activities in each day. (Make me laugh Monday -explaining jokes to the class-, encouraging someone by writing a note on wednesday, reading a part of Chronicles of Narnia book on Thursday, "I am thankful for.." on Friday.)
It is really good to be in Holland Christian because it makes my exchange year wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. yay Physics! And I totally know what you mean about Study Hall! I figure why take a class for doing you homework when you can learn something new, like Art or something?!

    ReplyDelete